Saturday 31 January 2009

echoes from an empty vessel!

I think this is what you do.... I may have been an IT Advisor at the Uni but stuff a child can do on the Web beats me.
After a sleepless night the awaited visit from the Building Regs man was anticlimactic as he glanced at the plater round the new beams said that there weren't any cracks so it was passed as OK.
After all my worry I actually felt a bit let down.
The central heating is in and is probably well over what is needed. The first night was pure hell as the system had to be run hot for the first 12 hours - consequently it was 70Degs F when I went to bed and over 80 degs F when I got up next morning - sleeping wasn't really possible. Still, it's easier to turn it down than it is to throw another radiator on the fire when it gets cold.
Exciting day today as - agroup of us always have lunch in a caff on Newcastle Station but today Tornado came with it's first charter train.... I knew an embarrasing no of people there - people I never thought of as gricers.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K7j-5gpwric
I usually prefer narrow gauge, North west Wales narrow gauge but have a soft spot for Tornado as I saw it in several stages of it's build.

Tuesday is another big day - 130 years since Mr Swan demonstrated his electric liight bulb in the Literary and Philosophical Society's lecture theatre - We were even mentioned in the Guardian today. Celebrations will be held, wine poured (by me) and nibbles nibbled (by me too).
http://www.litandphil.org.uk/html_pages/LP_home.html

2 comments:

  1. Now why, I wonder, have your links not gone 'live'? Most odd. Apart from the 'comments', mine seem to do it automatically.

    I think that you will have cause to be very thankful for the heating today and tomorrow, the weather forecast is dreadful. So - no cracks = safe? Oh well.

    I feel a little ambivalent about Tornado; it's a magnificent achievement, great engineering, but I like to be steam hauled by something with some genuine history. I just don't see the point otherwise.

    130 years - amazing. The first public building to be lit by electrickery I believe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the links sorted - I have to select it and then it converts it......
    The little brained bear strikes again!

    ReplyDelete